Sunday, September 8, 2013

Lesson 3 - Attention, Emotions and Learning


After watching the videos on attention, emotions and learning I am able to take away information that will help me when I become a teacher.  I feel that I am better able to recognize when there may be a true problem with a child's attention level and the signs and symptoms that I should be looking for.  I also know that it is very important to keep and open line of communication with the child's parents to see if they notice the same behavior in other settings.  If a problem is detected I can then seek the guidance of the school psychologist or nurse to get the child the help they need to have a productive educational career. 



I also learned how important it is that the children have a stable environment that is not high in stress so that they do not have an increased level of cortisol for any length of time.  I have a better understand that stress is a normal part of life however if a child lives in a stressful environment it can have a lifelong impact on their brain.

1 comment:

  1. Great point that stress is part of life...it's the coping skills we have to manage stress that become really important. How do you see yourself in understanding, selecting, using, and teaching your students various stress coping skills? How does conflict management, delay tolerance, having a trusted, responsible teacher or other adult, etc. impact our students' coping with stress?

    ReplyDelete